Yesterday, September 22nd, Ukrainian parliament has finally adopted the long-awaited-for and fiercely discussed legislation on State Support of the Film Industry.
There about ten major changes in the playground most important of which is introduction of the 25% cash rebate system for all the service production projects including theatrical movies, TV series, commercials, music videos etc. The other important things are following:
- State support for film could be granted to all legal bodies regardless of ownership type – state, private, corporate, etc.
- State support will be conducted through Film Fund under the management of State Film Agency. The funding decisions to be made by a Film Council. The level of financing is set to 0.2% of Ukraine’s state budget.
- Features and animation film could get up to 80% of the budget from state support
- TV Series could get up to 50% of the budget from state support
- Documentaries, educational and children programs could be 100% funded by state
- Foreign production companies could get up to 25% of qualified production expenses and up to 10% in royalties for the projects shot in Ukraine as a service or in a co-production with Ukrainian company
- State finance could only be granted to the national film projects passing the cultural test
- All the exhibitors and broadcasters in Ukraine should air at least 15% of the national content before January 1, 2022 and at least 30% after the date
- The ownership of the 100%-funded programs belongs to the state. Other projects receiving the state support should repay part of their revenues to the state
- Advertising campaigns for national films are considered of social importance and could be placed free of charge in the media
The link to the text of the legislation in Ukrainian: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=57258